Saturday, September 29, 2007

The Thumb Twiddle

What an odd day... It was the first time in over six months that I experienced the phenomenon of having nothing to do.

Of course sleeping in wasn't too much of an option, because with my parents' full day at the local Harvest Fest, they basically opened our slider door at 7:30 this morning to let their young, exciteable pup Rigley in to greet us. And then they closed the door and left. Rigley paced from side to side of our bed for maybe 20 minutes before we gave up... It was time for Saturday.

I know my busy lifestyle is too much for most people, but I'm going crazy just thinking about not having plans for two weekends from now (thank god we found something to fill the upcoming holiday, I can't imagine!). So the fact that I went from bed to the couch this morning, still in my pjs, was let's-just-say RARE. It lasted less than ten minutes. I'm no good at this.

We ran a couple of errands, bought a pumpkin, and visited the Harvest Fest that my parents run. Gary dropped me off at the gym, from which I ran a little over 4 miles home. Yes, I haven't been to the gym since maybe May or June, but we've been running and biking a ton through the summer for various races and tours. Gary went to work on the shingling of my folks' barn for the rest of the afternoon, and I returned to smut TV and the personal to-do list that has been building up. Yup, senseless smut television. Maybe I can do this?

So anyway, what this brings us back to now is what we call "Saturday night". We are watching Damian Marley on Austin City Limits. Before I realized it was even him, I already had this weird feeling because I've had a longtime respect and love for Bob Marley - in a very non-cliche way - and I immediately thought "my god, this man is that breathtaking." Stephen also came on stage, as well as some little 3-year-old-ish boy who was waving the Jamaican flag and oozing of a future story.

Now before ya go thinkin' I'm some kinda wild-child hippie...

Tomorrow is another, and as yet still a very unplanned day. I have a couple of hours of work to do, and more if I want to feel comfortable for the next two weeks of deadlines. We're also planning on a good few hours on the boat so Gary can make up for lost time fishing. Ho hum.

Off to Islesboro, Maine next weekend with BG and Sam!

Good night!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I embrace having nothing to do whenever I can!

Michelle