Tuesday, March 04, 2008

A Whole Life

I just came across a witty blog today called "Whole Foods for a Whole Year." A woman my age in Maine is documenting her attempt to completely overhaul and eat no refined, processed, hormone-boosted, chemically enhanced, genetically altered, etc., foods in 2008. A great real-life example and a fun way to learn about what "whole" really means.

I spent a good three years eating as "clean" as possible, and I was actually darn successful at it when living between Whole Foods and Trader Joe's in Newton, MA. I went all the way, cutting out most coffee and booze too. I drank obscene amounts of water, and my energy levels were through the roof.

(What changed? I fell in love, and with love came wine and ice cream...)

Well, I didn't actually stray that far over the last few years of marriage - many of you know how I can be sometimes, particularly about the Purdue brand and grocery-store baked goods. But it's not always easy to find meat free of growth hormones or to have to toss milk and bread that last less than a week because it doesn't have preservatives.

2008 has marked a gradual upgrade in our kitchen cabinets, however. I'm walking the extra distance to pick up the right groceries during work days in Boston and commute home with them. We're trying new food options (thanks to Mom Hedman for the quinoa tip!), and always making everything we can from scratch.

I encourage everyone to go whatever tiny distance you can. A great resource is: http://www.whfoods.com/

No comments: